The place named Sibsagar in the state of Assam is famous among the historians as the old capital of the Ahom Kings who ruled Assam for 600 years, till the British rule started in the region. The place is situated about 150 kms east from the popular Kaziranga National Park in Assam and its distance from the city of Guwahati is about 369 kms. There are many monuments and structural remaining of Ahom dynasty in and around the town. Sibsagar is also a leading tea and oil producing district. It is also famous for Shivadol which is the tallest Shiva temple and the two smaller temples on either side of it for Lord Vishnu and the Goddess Durga. The most remarkable landscape of the town is the 200 year old Sibsagar tank.

On its banks are three temples-- the Shivadol, the Vishnudol and the Devidol-- all three were built by Queen Madambika, wife of Siva Singha, in the year 1734. The Shivadol is believed to be the highest Siva Temple in India, having a height of 104 feet and the perimeter 195 feet. The tank is situated in the heart of the town but the water level is above the level of the town. Today Sibsagar is a fast developing town in commercial, industrial and educational activities. The town, which literally means 'the ocean of Lord Shiva', is strewn with the tell-tale ruins of a powerful empire. The most remarkable landmark of the town is the 200 year old Sibsagar tank. On its banks are three significant temples - Shivadol, Vishnudol and Devidol. Modern Sibsagar is a fast developing urban settlement. It is the headquarters of the district Sibsagar, a leading tea and oil producing centre.

The place with its entire historical charm is gradually becoming one of the most sought after tourist spot. The most important sights surrounding the town of Sibsagar include Charaideo that is located around 28 kms east of Sibsagar. This place was the original capital of the Ahom Kings and was built by the founder of the dynasty, Sukhapa in about 1229.


Rangpur, ancient name of Sivasagar, was the capital of great Ahom kings of Assam for centuries. The Ahoms built various buildings, ponds, palaces, temples in and around Sivasagar. Some of them are still standing tall and tell the stories of those glorious days!


Talatal Ghar
About 6 kms from Sibsagar, it is an immense seven storied palace, three of which are below the ground level and the rest above. There are two secret tunnels here.

Kareng Ghar
This historical monument was built by King Rudra Singha during 1696-1714 AD and was the military station of the Ahom Kings. The entire structure is of historical and architectural interest.

















Gargaon Palace
Gargaon, the erstwhile capital of the Ahoms, lays 13 kms east of Sibsagar. The old palace built in 1540 was destroyed, and the present seven-storied palace, known as Kareng Ghar, was rebuilt around 1762, by King Rajeshwar Singha.

Rang Ghar
This amphitheatre was built by King Pramatta Singha. This two storied oval shaped pavilion is one of the largest of its kind.

An another old capital of the Ahom kings, Charaideo, built by the founder of the Ahom dynasty, Sukapha lies 28 km east of Sibsagar. It is famous for the 'maidans' or burial vaults of the members of the royalty.

Joysagar, believed to be the largest man-made lake in India, sprawls over 318 acres on the edge of Sibsagar town. Another highlight is the Ahom Museum on the bank of the Sibsagar, which houses artifacts of the Ahom rulers, that include clothes, swords, manuscripts, goblets and platters.

Jaysagar Tank and Temples
The Jaysagar tank was built by King Rudra Singha in 1697. On its bank are three highly revered temples - Joydol, Shivdol and Devidol.

Gaurisagar Tank and Temples
The Gaurisagar tank was built by Queen Phuleshwari Devi. Standing on its bank are three temples - Vishnudol, Shivdol and Devidol.

Rudrasagar Tank and Temples
The Rudrasagar tank was built by King Lakshmi Singha in 1773. It is 8 kms from Sibsagar.

Namdang Stone Bridge
The Namdang  bridge, cut out from a single solid rock over the Namdang river, was constructed by King Rudra Singha in 1703. Today, the National Highway 37 passes over this bridge.